ISLAMABAD (The Thursday Times) — Field Marshal Asim Munir has concluded his visit to Tehran and departed Iran, with Pakistan’s army describing the talks as “highly productive” and saying negotiations had made “encouraging progress towards a final understanding.” The Financial Times reported on Saturday that mediators believe they are nearing agreement to extend the US-Iran ceasefire by 60 days and set a framework for talks on Tehran’s nuclear programme. Iran said a final agreement could be reached within 30 to 60 days.
The Thursday Times reported on Friday that Rubio had named Pakistan the primary interlocutor in US-Iran talks and that Munir had arrived in Tehran. Read that report here.
Munir left Tehran alongside Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi after a one-day visit that included meetings with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. The ISPR statement issued on his departure said: “Negotiations over the last twenty-four hours have resulted in encouraging progress towards a final understanding.”
Field Marshal Asim Munir departs Tehran after a 24-hour visit described by Pakistan's army as "short but highly productive."
— The Thursday Times (@thursday_times) May 23, 2026
Meetings held with Iran's President, Parliament Speaker, Foreign Minister and Interior Minister.
"Encouraging progress towards a final understanding."… pic.twitter.com/iFU5GlLRFj
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking on Saturday from New Delhi, said “some progress” had been made and that there was a “chance” Iran could accept a deal as soon as that day, while cautioning that no breakthrough was certain. Iran struck a more measured note, saying contacts had not yet reached the point of a near deal but that a “memorandum of understanding” with the US was being finalised. Iranian officials said the nuclear issue would not be part of an initial framework.
What the 60-day deal would involve
According to the Financial Times, citing people briefed on the talks, the proposed agreement would include a 60-day extension of the ceasefire, a gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, discussions on diluting or transferring Iran’s stockpile of enriched uranium, and steps by Washington to ease its blockade of Iranian ports alongside sanctions relief. Iran said that at this stage the nuclear issue would not be discussed in detail, suggesting the initial framework focuses primarily on ending active hostilities and reopening the Strait.
“Negotiations over the last twenty-four hours have resulted in encouraging progress towards a final understanding.”
ISPR statement · 23 May 2026
Who Munir met in Tehran
Munir was received on arrival in Tehran on Friday by Iran’s Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni. He subsequently held separate meetings with President Masoud Pezeshkian, Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Iranian state media reported that discussions with Araghchi extended late into the night. A Qatari negotiating team also arrived in Tehran on Friday in coordination with the United States, reflecting the broader diplomatic push to reach an agreement.
Pakistan’s second Tehran visit in a month
Saturday’s visit was Munir’s second trip to Iran in just over a month. Last month he concluded a three-day visit where he underscored the need for dialogue and de-escalation. The back-to-back visits reflect the intensity of Pakistan’s mediation effort and the trust both Washington and Tehran have placed in Islamabad as the primary channel.
Pakistan brokered the original ceasefire on 8 April 2026 after Trump had set successive deadlines for Iran to comply or face strikes. Trump subsequently extended the ceasefire indefinitely, citing requests from Field Marshal Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. The first round of direct US-Iran talks was held on 11 and 12 April after the ceasefire. Those talks ended without a breakthrough but did not collapse.
Where things stand right now
The gap between Pakistani optimism and Iranian caution is itself telling. Pakistan’s army describing talks as “highly productive” with “encouraging progress” suggests movement on at least some core sticking points. Iran’s more measured public language suggests the hardest issues, particularly on nuclear enrichment, have not yet been fully resolved.
Bloomberg reported on Saturday that Iran said talks on a peace deal focused on ensuring fighting ends on all fronts are progressing, and that other key points of contention will be addressed at a later stage. The Thursday Times will update this article as developments emerge from Tehran and Washington.
Sources: ISPR, Financial Times, Bloomberg, Times of Israel, Iran International, Business Standard, Kashmir Observer, Pakistan Today. All quotes attributed to named official sources or official statements.




